View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
MARTINSR

Re: Painting in stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
I'm a newbie and doing the exact same thing with a gray metallic paint.

1) Yes the metallic paint is very hard to paint
2) Yes it shows any tiny blemish in my body work prep
3) Yes you can see a color difference between the panels

I am also working on a Nova and am now heavily thinking about painting it Arctic White because of my experience with the metallic paint.
Don't feel bad, I have seen guys with years and years of experience not be able to pull it off. I have seen white do the same thing though!

Check this out, if you clear has a yellow tint to it, which most all do to some extent, the more clear you put on the yellower it gets right?

You STILL want to paint it and clear it as I have described applying the most even amount of material over every square inch of the panel.

I remember a pro painter at a shop I worked having painted a quarter panel on a white car, and blended the rear door. The door didn't match the quarter at the back, and it didn't match the front door that it matched before he blended it! There wasn't a speck of paint at the front edge of the rear door where it met the front door, yet it was MUCH yellower in color there. And then, it was whiter than the quarter at the rear and it was painted with the same paint! I checked it with a mil gauge and the middle of the door was thinner than the end at the front door! He had applied the clear stopping gun movement at the end of the panel DOUBLING the "coats" at the edge! And he had done the same thing while painting the quarter.

If you are painting panels on a rack or something you want to spray off the end as if the next panel was there. If you stop too soon and come back in the other direction you are applying MORE than one coat at the end!

Here is a link to an article on the subject. The photo is gone, I need to make a new one for them. But read it and you should get the idea. http://www.camaros.net/forums/12-bod...nique-tip.html

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote