View Single Post
Old 10-29-2023, 09:52 PM   #16
Nick_R_23

Re: Why the **** won’t my rear brakes work??

So I gave up trying to diagnose this externally. Removed the drum assembly and inspected the brakes again. Everything appears fine, all parts are correct and installed properly. Ran a ratchet strap loosely around the shoes and had a friend apply the brakes. The brakes have great pressure and a good amount of travel. The shoes themselves have witness marks where they’ve contacted the drum and there’s not much area where there is actual contact being made. However, I removed both shoes and fit them to the drum, thinking that maybe the arches weren't the same, but the shoes both fit the contour of the drum damn near perfectly.

As a final observation, we can get the rear wheels to stop turning by hand with the brakes completely applied, but it’s further along in the pedal travel where normal braking would occur - it’s more down in the “panic stop” area.

Master cylinder was a thought, but it’s been replaced twice and shares the same specs as the original. It even is meant for the exact same rear brake setup, just on a newer truck.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote