View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 12:31 AM   #4
Jesse 67 c-10

I'm pretty sure going 5 speed and using as many original components as possible are inversly related! kind of like milage and hp, I used a getrag 5 spd from a half ton, the lighter weight model, no granny gear, seems to be holding up ok to my 327, but I'd go for a nv4500 for something heavy duty, the later model 4500's don't have as low a granny gear either so they would be great. or if you can find a getrag from a 3/4 t, I believe there is such a thing, getrags are great trannys, shift very nice! mine does at least. any 5 spd from a gm truck up to 98 will bolt to an old sb. after that the motors changed so the bolt pattern would be diff. All new 5 speeds (as far as I know) require a hyd clutch, can be done, I did it, also most newer ones have an elec speedo output. This is what I know about the gm ones. You'll spend quite a bit more doing this conversion than on say a th350 but it's worth it! otherwise you can shell out for an aftermarket tranny, richmond gear? how bout a lenco?
Jesse

1993 Dihatsu Hijet Jumbo cab 4x4, currently converting to battery electric power.
Jesse 67 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote