View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
rarneson

Question Manual 3-Speed Transmission Ratios

Hi,

I recently replaced the 250 six engine in my 1969 Chevy C10 with a 350 V8. I left in the original 3-speed manual transmission from the six cylinder engine. My concern is that the gear ratios from 1st and 2nd are not conducive to the power curve of the faster turning 350V8. I am getting conflicting information regarding the gear ratios of the 3-speed manual transmissions. It seems that all the places that I have contacted about getting a 3-speed manual transmission from a 350V8, say that as far as they know, there is no difference in the gear ratios. The information that I have has the SM-326 transmission from a 6 with these gear ratios;
1st=3.50, 2nd=1.89, 3rd of course is 1.00. The gear ratios from a SM-326 transmission from a 350V8 are listed as;
1st=2.85, 2nd=1.68, 3rd of course is 1.00. I got this information out of the book titled 'Chevy & GMC Pickup Performance Handbook' written by Jim Allen.

The next question is, how does a person tell these transmissions apart? The places that I have talked to about this, say that they don’t know how to tell these transmissions apart, if there is in fact a difference. So, I guess that is why they are saying that they are all the same???

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks for your time.

Rarneson
rarneson is offline   Reply With Quote