View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
AirSpeed

Re: Strange paint issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Well that’s not your problem, what brand paint are you using? Solvent pop usually happens in warm weather when a too fast of a reducer is used but a medium reducer at 65° Should not have done that even if you didn’t allow enough dry time between coats that usually ends up causing a runner or SAG
It’s Martin Senior from Napa, I usually use Nason but it’s a 160 mile round trip to get it. I was able to sand all the solvent pop out, seems like it was in the last coat. It appeared in areas I think I sprayed too thick, the transom is only a foot away from the back wall of the portable garage/tent I’m spraying in. I know I was moving gun too slow back there trying not to drag the hose in pain or have gun hit the wall, had a pretty decent sag back there! Used a little hand plane to cut through it as it was pretty thick! The other areas were the very tip of the bow where I think I sprayed too much. Also appeared all down the center of the bow from the dash to the tip, I sprayed half the bow from edge to center then repeated it on other side, I should have continued from the wet center to the other edge. I’m really hoping it’s just a matter of to much paint!
I got it sanded down today, started at 220 then went through 320,400 and finished with 600, wet sanding each time. I did end up with a much flatter surface! I spoke with my friend who works at Napa and he tells me they’ve never had an issue like this, I’m really hoping it’s the amount of paint I applied, going to plan a better spray pattern tomorrow and take my time, don’t want to go through this again!
One other thing, I gut a hole for a box fan in the gable of the Garage/tent, up high and covered it with a filter to keep some positive pressure, I read that this can happen in down draft booths by drying out the top layer of paint preventing solvents from escaping, I tested fan today and don’t feel in air movement of any velocity so I don’t think that could be it. I open to any suggestions! Thanks!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote