View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: How to pick a thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Speaking of the burp hole.

Here is a trick we used to do when I was hustling flat rate in high paced shops.

Buy a 99 cent bottle of aspirin to keep in your tool box. When you install a thermostat, push it open with your fingers and wedge two aspirins in the gap, across from each other. Now install thermostat and fill with coolant. The aspirins will hold thermostat open and it will bleed air allowing you to fill the system completely. Then as the water rises up past the thermostat, it will dissolve the aspirins and allow thermostat to work normally from then on.
I guess the car wouldn't have any headaches for a while after that, eh?

I've heard of this too -- anything from candy to vitamin pills to small pieces of toilet paper folded up in a wad. No wonder I work on my own cars these days. I'd never put any of those things in an engine. But getting paid under time pressure, I guess you do what you have to do.

Quote:
When the manufacturers went to 195 degree units back in the 80s I got on board with the idea. Its healthy for the engine to run warm. The oil stays cleaner. Plus that extra 15 degrees of heat at the vents is nice.
AFAIK, they switched to 195 primarily for emissions. In harmony with a cat converter, EGR, and an AIR pump in some applications, the higher temp actually helped increase efficiency of the combustion and lowers emissions. But all components need to be in place and operating properly to do so. For example, while a higher engine temp alone will help efficiency, it will increase NOx without the other provisions.

I also agree that a higher temp will help get rid of moisture and some other contaminants in the engine, and that will help oil stay cleaner, but there is a law of diminishing returns here since oil also breaks down with too much heat.

Good discussion!
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote