View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #36
bigmoe

Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

I just finished my first LS swap. My plan was to keep it as simple as possible. Insurance auctions are a good source. I got an 08 Tahoe 5.3 that had only 69000km on it. On the down side it was a 4wd so I couldn't use the tranny but was able to straight swap it for a 2wd tranny at a wrecker. If you're watching insurance auctions if you look for a van or work truck it will have a 2wd tranny. I also bid (but lost) on a few Escalades for the 6.2 which would be a good score.

It's good to get all you can from one vehicle. That eliminates the risk of getting something not compatible. I got the engine wiring harness and ECM and TCM as well as gas pedal. I got battery cables and megafuse and power cables to starter/alternator. I labelled the plugs on the wiring harness as to where they go if it wasn't obvious. I sent the harness to a guy who reworked it (thinned out unnecessary wires) and he terminated the end with necessary relays and fuses so I just had to hook it up. I sent the ECM/TCM off to be reprogrammed to remove VATS, etc.

I splurged on a Dakota Digital dash and BIM module. It was expensive but it just plugs into the OBD II outlet but it saves a lot of other hassles.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote