View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #42
Keith Seymore

Re: Intro from an old Assembly Plant guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmc454 View Post
That is a great story man. Welcome.

I think it would be nothing better than watching your own truck on the assembly line.

I see your truck has some unusual options. I have never heard of that trans option. I knew ford had a trans like that, because I have one, but not Chevrolet. (notice Chevy is capitalized). I have never seen one in a truck.
Also your truck has the tachometer. It is only the second truck that model I have seen with a tach. Nice. I love those 87's with the fuel injection. I am looking at one now to fix up.

We like all of those assembly plant stories.

Would love to hear about some of the more unusual options you saw go by while you were working on the 79-87 trucks.
--Clint
Re: option content - makes perfect sense to me, once you see where I was coming from. Dad had always ordered "base" trucks (ie, manual windows, stick shift, no air, vinyl floor covering, etc) so that's where I was heading with mine....until I found out I was moving to Arizona. Then it seemed like a good idea to have air!

I do recall there was some trickery with getting the tach. It was actually not available with my trans option, due to a bookkeeping error, but was available on the column mounted stick shift jobs. As a result, I knew it would fit and function, so I procurred one after the fact and retrofit it in myself. I noticed over the weekend when I had the cluster out that my wiring job, from 22 years ago, was still looking pretty good.

K
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote