View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
FAKKY

Re: When to use a relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
That stereo looks interesting to me. I think you have a good idea putting that in your truck. Have you hooked it up enough to hear if the speakers sound good and have decided where to mount them? Let's see a picture of where in the instructions it is suggesting a relay, perhaps how they word it will give a clue about the reason they suggest one.
Pretty basic instructions Going to hook it up now - will reply by this evening when finished with truck work as to how it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
It could be a general recommendation to avoid overloading the standard wiring harness. Older vehicles often don't have a lot of extra power capacity designed into the harness. By using a relay that pulls power direct off the battery or a high power junction, you lessen the chances of exceeding the max rating of the OEM harness.
Honestly - thats the best reason I came up with too. Seperate out the draw from the main harness. But then I got to thinking - well if I am not using a cigarette lighter ..... and another 10% of the circuits ..... and the radio already has a dedicated 20A circuit ...... then .... shouldnt need a relay

Which led me here.