View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Aftermarket stereo install

I'm currently tackling this problem in my dad's '67 El Camino. Firstly, we need to examine all your options at this point before making a decision.

Option 1:

You can install the head unit just as you showed, but I would place it level instead of at an angel, this will allow better access to the faceplate and make room for incoming and outgoing CD's.

Option 2:

You get a new headunit from Custom Auto Sound that will look very much like the original piece, but will have modern internals and provisions for a CD changer, iPod, and preouts for an amplifier. (Personally, I'm not impressed with these headunits, but they are basically the only thing on the market for this sort of application.)

Option 3:

You install the headunit as discussed in Option 1, but you run an infrared reciever to the dash so that the remote for the headunit can work properly if at all.

Another way you can do this is to run a "ribbon" wire arrangement from the headunit to the detached faceplate and then place it on your dash.

A "ribbon" wire looks just like an IDE cable from inside your computer. It's very thin and flat and probably an inch wide or more.

Option 4:

You get over your fear of cutting metal and make provisions for a new headunit where that old AM radio resides and then wire that puppy up.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote