View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #35
jkohnz

Re: My AWD Build Thread

2.5 months shy of 2 years since my last post on this...

It's sitting in my shop being neglected. I'm planning to, hopefully, get started on fixing my cab soon. The plan of attack on it is:
  1. Bottom of the rear of the cab
  2. Full floor assembly
  3. Patch up kick panels, closing them off, and spots on the bottom of firewall
  4. Smooth the firewall
  5. Put the doors back on
  6. Cab corners
  7. Front lower pillars
  8. Outer rockers
  9. Patch various spots under the cowl
  10. Install dash panel
  11. Fix dents and rust in the roof panel

I still haven't finished my mounts for the cab to the frame. I'm constantly 2nd guessing the way I'm wanting to do it. But, I think I'm going with what I've made so far, just finishing it up, grinding down some welds and getting it attached to the frame. Once all of these mounting points are completed, I'll be stripping the frame to take it to a media blaster and then painting it. Or maybe powder coating, not sure. I've read so many mixed reviews on powder coating.

On top of that, I picked up a core 4L80E for $200 that has a front pump bushing worn out on it and a lot of miles. Previous owner said it drove and shifted great, just leaked out the front seal. He said if I got into it, and it needed more, he'd make it right for me. Not to concerned, because most of the rebuild shops around me want a $500 core charge. Saves me $300 either way. And, in the long run, the 4L80E will be much better than the 4L65E that it came with.

But, that means I need to mock up the floor again because it's longer. To do that, I need to build or buy a new trans mount cross member. I also then need to change out the input shaft of my NP149 transfer case to work with the new trans. I have a list of parts to get for the trans changeover, as well as repinning my OE harness. Already reflashed the ECU for the segment swap myself.

I keep telling myself it will get done someday. Here I am 4.5 years since starting this thread lol.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762736
jkohnz is offline   Reply With Quote