View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #16
Mayor West

Re: Needing advice on vapor lock problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Sounds like you are making progress.

In my experience, a standard duty thermal fan clutch is what you want. The heavy duty ones engage at a lower temperature and can sound a bit like a jet engine at slow speeds. I went with a standard thermal clutch and don't have any overheat or vapor lock problems even in summer heat while running the AC. Have ceramic coated headers.

5 blade or 7 blade fan?

Might put some fuel line wrap at your 'pinch point' by the header collectors. If the return line is there as well, might wrap it just in case the fuel in it is boiling and limiting your return flow.

Carb spacer or a thick thermal carb gasket?
Thank you! When I looked at the fan blade and clutch I was surprised that the clutch wasn’t a thermally regulated type. Other than saving a few bucks and maybe quieter running I can’t think of why that type was installed?

I’ll get to wrapping, too! At the end of the season I can look into getting the headers properly cleaned and coated. Live and learn.

There is a ~1“ phenolic spacer installed now.

Today I’m putzing with carburetor tuning. Yesterday while out, as long as I shifted into neutral at stops and kept the idle up, it didn’t die...it wanted to, though! So somethings are getting better.
Mayor West is offline   Reply With Quote