View Single Post
Old 05-15-2002, 06:10 PM   #30
Fast Orange

Y'all have made a lot of good points, so I figured I'd just tell you the combinations that I have done with my truck, and also what a buddy of mine has done.

Mine: 454 engine with Brodix heads and intake, Holley 1050 dominator (overkill - but it sure looks cool), Hooker super competition headers, Flowmaster DeltaFlow mufflers, TH 400 tranny w/ 10" TCI convertor, stock 12 bolt truck axles, 3:73 ratio, Auburn posi unit, 29 x 14.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro tires, cheap O'Reilly shocks, stock coil spring suspension (no modifications) 2" blocks under the rearend and rear coil springs from a 68-72 Chevelle.

The motor is a 9.5:1 pump gas (93 octane) and dyno'd at 520 HP. Best time to date has been a 12.20 - with traction problems. It runs consistent 12.20's - 12.30's It also ran a 12.80 with 275/60 BFG Radial TA's (babied the throttle big time - I think it was a fluke, but it did happen - scared the crap outta me, because it was the first time I had taken it to the track and I thought I was spinning the tires the whole time. It was REALLY a smooth ride - almost too smooth - thought I was gonna hit the wall for sure.)

My buddy's: 383 (400 crank) with Dart Sportsman cast iron heads, single plane intake (can't remember what brand) Holley 750 double pumper (worked over by Carb Shop) Hedman headers (nothing fancy), Flowmaster mufflers, TH 350 tranny w/ 10" TCI convertor, stock 12 bolt truck axles, 4:10 ratio, Auburn posi unit, 29 x 12.5 Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro tires, cheap O'Reilly shocks, leaf spring suspension with homemade ladder bars.

The motor is a 11:1 race gas (102 octane - I think) no dyno #'s. Best time to date has been a 12.26 or 12.27 - something like that - the weather was perfect that night and no traction problems. Normally, it runs consistent 12.60's - 12.70's, although he won't admit it.

He probably won't do too much more to his (until I go into the 11's - LOL). I'm trying to get the body in shape and get paint on it, so I'm not concentrating too much on the rear suspension set up yet.

Anyway, that's what we've done. It can be done if you want to spend the money. Squeezing the biggest tire back there really helps too. Mine is not narrowed BTW - running 6 1/2" backspacing on the wheels.

If interested there's some pictures of them in the member's rides at:
www.okceliminators.com

(I hope the link works)

Mine is the orange/gray/black '72 and his is the green '67 GMC.

Good luck!

------------------
"Fast Orange"
1972 Chevy Stepside that will one day be finished!!

1972 Chevy Stepside that will one day be finished!!
Fast Orange is offline   Reply With Quote