View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Old65C10

Bought a new to me 90 Sub, came with a few surprises.

So, I have been into the square bodies for years, and just sold my K30, but I have never had the Suburban that I wanted.
About 8 years ago my wife wanted to get me a Suburban and she found one and traded her mini-van for it. However it was a 90 2wd with a 454. I hated to get rid of it, but it just was not what I wanted and the mileage out of the 454 was terrible.
Well, I went in search of my dream Suburban. I wanted a 4wd, 5.7L and it had to be a 3/4 ton so I can tow my travel trailer.
I found it, but it was in another state. It was down in Salem Or, about 4 hours away.
It is a 90 GMC, 3/4 ton, 5.7, SLE with everything I wanted, tow package, 4:10's, LSD, front and rear A/C, power everything even the mirrors.
The problem was I had the cash, but no way to go look at it or go get it. My wife was out of town and I just did not have the time to take off and go see it. So, looking at the pictures only from the web, I bought it without ever going to see it. The dealer agreed to deliver it to me and collect the cash when they got here. It is a big dealer in the Salem area I have dealt with before.
It arrived today and I have now had a chance to inspect it and I am super happy with it.
Under the hood is a new GM crate engine with all the sticker and new motor mounts. They also replaced the hoses and belts, and all the ignition wires, cap and rotor along with the ign control unit. (the old ones were in the center console)
It also has a new radiator, new battery, new starter, new master cylinder, booster and new calipers. I have not pulled the rear wheels, but suspect the rear brakes were done also. A new Hayden trans cooler is behind the grill too.
I also looked at the transmission and it was also replaced, it is painted grey like from a rebuilder.
Mechanically this thing is in great shape. The interior is also in great shape, but has a minor crack in the dash and a small seam that is separating on the passenger seat. I think I can get that fixed easily. The headliner however is falling in the front and the rear half is gone.
Now the bad.
The paint is poo, pealing on the hood, missing on the roof and just bad on the rest. There is a dent in the left rear quarter, not bad, but needs fixing.
The RF windows kind of works, it goes real slow and needs help to fully close. Got to fix that soon.
The A/C does not work and the heater core is disconnected, I assume it leaks.
The exhaust is, well a mess. The stock Y pipe is there, then it goes to a piece of flex tube, then a new Cat and short pipe then a new Flowmaster dual outlet. But, that is the end of it, nothing after the muffler.
The rest of the issues are all minor, left channel of the radio does not work, door pins need replacing, window seals/wipers are dry rotted.
Oh, and the Elephant in the room, those ugly rims. 20in rims and tires. They will find a new home and be replaced with stock steelies and stock dog dish hub caps. Then the 20's with be sold to someone that likes them more than I do.
All in all, I am very happy with it. All this for $4300 delivered. Must have cost $75 in gas.

Last one is from the dealer I got it from.
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote