View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Old65C10

Re: Roof Rack for Suburban?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I built crossbar racks for a canoe on my old Suburban out of scrap 1x2 oak that I got for free from the shop where I worked at the time.

I just cut out a couple good pieces about four feet long, plus four pieces about six inches long with ends cut 45* for spacers. I used four 1/4" carriage bolts for mounting and drilled through the layers of oak and through the roof at appropriate places on the raised ridges. It never leaked with the oak tightened down against the raised ridge on the sheet metal. It helped that I had no headliner anyway!
That is not a bad idea, and I do have a lot of wood, some oak from pallets. However I am wanting to turn this into an Overlanding rig to camp and travel in. I am thinking the 8020 route may the best for my needs. It will give me unlimited options to mount anything I want and not have to drill holes everywhere. From what I am seeing it is going to cost me $500 for any decent rack, even used. I can build the 8020 rack for that much and have a lot more flexibility. So, unless I find a real bargain on a used rack, that is the way I will go. Just need to save up the cash.
I bought the Suburban and a 96 BMW R1100RT motorcycle this month and the registration fees alone have cost me $800. My current budget is in the negatives till I can either sell some stuff or something.
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote