View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 06:11 PM   #11
Jason Banks

Re: Reusable garage paint booth help

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
While I don't have any direct experience with the blow up types, here are my observations:

After several paint jobs, what do you do about the eventual accumulation of overspray on the clear plastic? If you want it to stay transparent, I suppose you could cover them with removable plastic.

Same with the floor. I've seen some cover the floor with plastic.

Contingency plans in the event of a power failure. The roof needs to be supported in case the fans die and it falls on the vehicle.

A friend used one and he wasn't impressed with the evacuation rate of the paint mist, especially the clear coat. I've seen options to add an additional fan. That might help.

I couldn't find a size big enough to fit an average sized vehicle and yet be small enough to fit in my bay.

For a quick setup and teardown assembly these extra steps and limitations just don't make it worth it to me.

I have a temporary booth made of 1 1/4" PVC and 1 1/2" chain link fence tubing for the frame and plastic sheeting. It was a bit involved to design the structure around the garage door tracks but it only takes a full weekend to setup. (It took a few weeks for the initial construction and setup). I use a typical sized bank of intake and exhaust filters and a 5HP, 3' diameter fan with a large plenum. Works beautifully.

You are very right about the floor. Look at the floor in the picture I posted. I was using Southern Polyurethanes epoxy and it's very sticky.

I had paper/chipboard on the floor originally and you can see where it is all ripped up from sticking to my feet. After that experience I went and got cheap roll vinyl flooring and it worked much better.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote