View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #51
prg machine

Re: another cheap electric fan build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Rat View Post
Boog: Yes The factory set-up for a jeep has the fan mounted to the shroud like I have done

prg machine: If you look at any big truck that tows they use mechanical fans, look at any 3/4 or 1 ton truck it uses a clutch fan. electric fans are great but alone by themselves they wont cool well for towing or hauling. If I were you I would try around and see if the electric fan will work or use a combo of electric and clutch fan as jeeps with tow packages had. Sorry I cant give you a 100% straight answer if this will cure all of your overheating problems, I just noticed how it fit and shared it with everyone, for me its far better then my mechanical ever did.

scott68-93-97: Thats correct new vehicles have them run after the vehicle is shut-down. I wasnt worry about killing my battery, i just want it to be nice and cool for when i restart it after traveling.
71 Rat,
If I have it you suggest the conventional belt driven and the electric? If I mount the electric forward in the shroud and run the conventional, would I be restricting flow for the mechanical?? I don't believe I would and it might be the best of both worlds. I putt around a lot at slow speeds out in the woods here in Oregon ( my wife loves the wild flowers, birds and wildlife plus the scenery so I take it slow and get her support in what I love to do, plus I am driving the toys!!) City traffic is not realy any concern as I try to stay out of town. Occasionaly a camper might be on the truck towing our 61 Willys CJ-5 behind or the truck might be loaded with a ton and a 1/2 of heavy firewood, like oak.

some think I would be better off with a milder engine than I have built, 383 full roller and 1.6 rockers 2.02 intake valves , Air Gap manifold and a 750 Carter Performer. Headers etc. But what the hey!!!!!