View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
68c10airstream

Re: Cobb County, GA Purchasing Dept.

SpecialK, try this cheap trick: crankcase must be to the full mark, add i quart of naptha to the engine oil, drive casually for 50-100 miles and change oil. The naptha will help to free stuck oil control rings, soften seals slightly, etc. It has to be added to a full crankcase as the higher level in the pan helps to flood the backside of the pistons and clean them. During the 90's we were plagued with oil burning mitsubishi 3.0v6's. Our part manager was from gm lineage during the 70's, found the gm crankcase cleaner used on chevettes for stuck rings in the parts dept where he used to work. He got a case of it and handed it to me and said "try it" Cocky me said "yah right, a can of snake oil approach" Well i ate my words. My trick was to take a dime out of my pocket, put it under the throttle stop, add the cleaner and set my watch. 10 minutes later, engine running at about 1400rpms and surprise, no smoke. We would tear them down and rings stuck, but more than one employee bought these v6's, got the naptha job and oil consumption was reduces drastically. I stock a gallon of naptha at home as that is my fuel injection cleaner (50/50 mix-gas-naptha). I had the head off of a jeep inline 6. carboned pistons got an overnight dose of naptha poared on top of them. The next day the carbon looked frosty, and dull. Used paper towel and wiped the carbon completely away, nice shiny pistons. One caution, a buddy did this exact procedure on an old 6 in a nova and he filled the oil filter with crud and the lifters started to clatter. Changed oil, drove for 6 more years and no oil consumption. Good luck, Brian F.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote