View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Re: Cobb County, GA Purchasing Dept.

It's all original TBI engine now. If I did put the Vortec motor in with TBI, there is no aftermarket intake that I know of for this set-up. But, GM has just what it takes and they are expensive, but can be found used. There were export models after '95 that were the current at the time Vortec motors but retained the TBI induction. I really like the idea of this set-up the more I think about it. You get the benefit of the Vortec while keeping the dead reliable and stupid simple TBI. I wouldn't count on gaining all the fuel mileage improvements of the 100% Vortec, but I figure the better power requiring less pedal for same power would give better than stock TBI results.

I've been pondering the ring theory and still not so certain that is the issue. If it is, then I also have another issue causing coolant in the oil. I just checked the coolant and it's tippy top. You see, my buddy is a mechanical genius compared to me and after checking the catch can he made it sound like it surely was an oil ring issue. I agree that solved the down from head or up from crankcase question and I left with that thought. I started wondering why it still couldn't be a bad intake gasket and sent him a text asking why he was sure it couldn't be that. He never replied and I didn't want to question his judgement any more, thinking maybe he was annoyed by it. I just talked to him the first time since just yesterday and asked again and he said he thinks it's a cracked intake, or at least check into that before replacing the engine. He laughed and said he just didn't want to get roped into replacing it that day. Funny guy, I told him. I've been going around depressed thinking about shooting myself while you laugh and don't answer my texts...LOL. We didn't have to fix it right then and there, and it sure would have eased my mind to hear that could be all it was a couple weeks ago. I am 99.9% certain this is what the problem is and hope I'm right. I doubted myself because this guy is the whiz, everyone who knows him agrees. I'm glad we're good enough friends that we can mess with each other this way. Otherwise I might have knocked him on his arse!
I really appreciate your helpful suggestion and will retain it for possible later use. I'll give an update once I get back into this. Man, I hope it's just this two hour job

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote