Thread: Ez wiring help
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #43
ray_mcavoy

Re: Ez wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ChevyMan1 View Post
I am a little confused. Reason being is I have found different diagrams that do not have the same Colors as my plug. I do not have a tach so I only have 6 holes on my cluster. Does that make a difference? If not do I still use the quoted reference to wires?
You might have been looking at a diagram for a truck with the "3-hole" warning light style cluster. Those have a different pin-out on the cluster connector.

The factory tach (when present) goes in the otherwise unused hole between the speedometer and fuel gauge. It is wired up with it's own separate harness so it doesn't connect into (or result in any changes to) the cluster connector pin-out that I posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
Also I don't see any type of harness or plug for the Saginaw 3 speed. Would my reverse switch be the one on the column located inside close to the fire wall?
Yes, a Saginaw 3-speed with the factory column shifter should have the reverse light switch located on the column. I attached a pic of the reverse light switch in my 72 (which also has a Saginaw 3-speed) back in post #11 of this thread.

As a somewhat related side note, there is an electrical switch on some Saginaw 3-speeds ... it's located on the side cover right near the 2nd/3rd shaft and is used for the TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) emissions system (which is commonly disconnected).
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote