View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Re: What parts need reproduced the most

I think reproduction seat belts would be in demand. While reproduction shoulder belts would be,too,I think if someone made shoulder/lap belt units (like '73-up) with OEM style hardware/buckles they'd make a killing.

As far as sheet metal goes: Panel/Suburban/K5 sides,cab back panels,and the piece in the cowl where the wiper motor mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvivor71 View Post
I got my steering wheel from somewhere else and it is a flimsy POS. Doesn't feel like it has a steel core inside. I can't speak for LMC but I've seen alot of negative comments here (and never a positive one) about all the aftermarket ones.
I think they are only "made" by one company. I bought a steering wheel from LMC that I installed in a truck that I drive very occasionally. Within four years the rim split and separated at TDC. You can see the metal rod in there and it is a way lighter gauge than original...like half. I'd say about 3/16" where the OEMs have more like 3/8". The wheels are beautiful and correct looking reproductions. I just can't fathom why,especially for what they cost,they would go so cheap on the structure. I'd rather pay five more dollars (a guess at how much more heavier gauge might have cost) than waste all that money on a temporary part. Going cheap can come around and bite your behind and I hope it bites who makes these. If the word got out that steering wheels are made better now,they would sell 10x what they do now and make way more money.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote