View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #671
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I can't believe this driveline thing is still ongoing. I took the back half of the driveline to a second shop on the 22nd of last month. Driveline Service of Portland looked at what I had and what I needed and said " typically we charge $600 to $700 to build a complete driveline like yours, so it should be about half of that." They said they were very busy and short handed and it would take 7 to 10 days. 13 days later they called and said it was ready for pickup. The next dayI went to pick it up and they said it was $680! Basically twice the quote. So after some back and forth they admitted to the quote and that they failed to call me and ask if I was okay with the cost being double the quote. I told them I felt that they had bait and switched me and were hoping that I would pay the increased cost just to get the truck back on the road. Since the only thing they do is drivelines I couldn't see any other reason for being so far off of the quote. Once again I left a shop with half a driveline.

After some thought I decided to put the driveline half I had aside and convert to a one piece driveline. With the gearvendors on the back of the Th350 the driveline will be about 21 inches shorter. So I went out and pulled a line from the center of the rear yoke to the center of the yoke from the GV. A couple of small magnets held the string so I could measure to see if a 3 1/2" diameter driveline would fit through the crossmember. From my research for a 57 inch long driveline 3 1/2" diameter tubing is recommended. I measured the clearance with the rear bags aired out and fully inflated. (Photos 2,3, & 4) With the bags full and the shocks at maximum extension it is at the closest point at the bottom (photo 4). I will have to double check the clearance there once the driveline is in place. Worst case I will have modify the bottom of the cutout.
The last photo shows the driveline measurement. So now it is time to shop around for another vendor. Uggg!
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote