View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #58
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: My Big Fat Renovation

Back to the pics!

Going to go off on a little side story for a second...

I worked on the house from May to July without ever turning the A/C system on. Everything tested "good" during the home inspection. I needed the windows open for ventilation even if it was 105 degrees upstairs (should have taken a pic of the thermostat!)

Anyway, our realtor pushed that we get the home owners to pay for a 1 year home warranty... well it paid for itself!

We were having trouble with this thing as soon as we turned it on. It froze up at least once a day. I figured it was because of large % of the fins being closed off. The top was also bent all to heck. That's even after I straightened it out some! I called the insurance company and for $60 they came to check it out. After looking at it, they determined it was "bad." It took almost 3 weeks to get the insurance company to shell out for a new one, but we got it! All for only $60!

Well, here's the real kick in the nuts. After about a week this one started freezing, and man was I pissed. I saw no evidence of leaks (there's usually an oily looking mess around where the leaks are) and started doing some online research. I figured out that the problem had to be with the upstairs unit in the attic. What was happening was the outside unit was kicking on when needed, but the inside fan was staying off and that was causing the freeze up conditions! With some online help I determined it was the capacitor, fan relay, or fan delay switch. With my sweet searching skills I was able to find all of the OEM style parts for under $40 shipped! I replaced all of them, being 90% sure it was the fan relay switch, and we've enjoyed a working system since late august. The downstairs one has worked well since we got the place.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-20-2009 at 03:38 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote