View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #69
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Re: My Big Fat Renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
RO? Do you mean the trim? I thought about that, but if I use fatter trim on the sides, I can't use it on the top. It would look awkard with thick trim on the side and skinny on the top.

My wife is OK with the more expensive door and waiting on it, it's also more "energy efficient" than the ones in stock, and it closer matches the door we have now with the "inside" window panes. The current door is completely fixed on the right side and someone "made" a new centerpiece for it that looks like crap (they must have broken it at one time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383Ram View Post
No, he means the rough opening (RO) . Thats what i would do also. It shouldn't be very hard to do if everything goes right----notice i said shouldn't. But i understand wanting the more efficient door also.

You can do this. You just CENTER the door in the opening, add 1/2" or 3/4" plywood (or appropriate size) to the 2x4's(or 2x6's) and use wider trim on all sides. Or add strips of drywall and mud, or for the lazy, blob the hot mud or fixall (personally I don't condone this) in the space with regular sized trim over that.
Just be sure to caulk and flash it properly for long life.
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote