Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #72
roll_the_dice

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Thanks Andy.....I know I am changing the transmission and that its not original but that is for usage more than anything...I plan on driving this truck a lot so mileage is a concern.

I know its probably crazy to keep the original radiator, heater cores etc especially since no one will even see the heater core and the radiator..well is a radiator and it would be cheaper to just buy a replacement.....BUT its not the same...probably the same with the motor but just something about having the original motor is better for me.....my other had a ZZ383 Stroker with 425Hp way too much power...couldn't put it to the ground.

Im going to change a few things just for conveniences sake like adding the door jamb switches a few other little things...but like the old truck the way it is.
I understand changing the trans, but I like manuals, so that is what I am sticking with. I ordered my engine/trans combo last week along with vintage air, new aluminum radiator from a board sponsor, and a new gas tank. None of those were original on my truck when I bought it. I am going with a crate engine, only a 300HP but with EFI and a 6 speed Tremec T56 trans. I plan to cruise and put some miles on it too. I always have at least one vehicle that is a manual...now I have 3 out of 4 with only my DD not a manual and I looked for a manual when I bought it. Fortunately, my wife prefers a manual also, so she is a keeper. haha

I am probably 3-4 weeks behind where you are, so I plan on using your thread when I start mine. I plan on doing the same...pull the engine so I can do engine bay cleanup and painting...rewire the truck...install new gas tank, then engine, trans, and radiator. Like you, I want the truck mechanically sound before I tackle any cosmetic issues.

It is cool here today...90 degrees..I just got home from taking the truck out...sure will be nice when I have the a/c installed!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote