View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #58
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: I got new (to me!) 65

little update on this one...
after new plugs, points, cap, condenser, rotor, getting the heater fixed, changing the choke cable, (old one was kinked, and I think I drove half the summer with the choke partially closed!), the timing chain slipped a couple teeth...
the old 283 is a little worn out, the # 2 & 7 cylinders foul the plugs out after about a week or so, so it really isn't worth it to fix the timing chain/gear on this engine.
I looked around the yard, and no luck finding an easy replacement engine, all the 350's we have are the newer throttle body type, I have a 66 with a 283, we tried to start that, and it sounds like the timing chain is slipped/broken in that as well, I have a nice 396, but to do that I would have to convert to an automatic, and all the autos I have are 4X4

so I will be on the lookout for a nice sbc or an auto (2wd) this winter , and get 'er back on the road in the spring.

while it is parked I am going to pull the fenders and re do the rust patches, they are trying to go again.

I also decided I didn't like the 60-61 hood 62 grille combo on this truck, so I will fix up one of the 62-66 chev hoods I have , and put the big truck grille back in it.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote