View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Scottcoda

Re: Where/How did you find your Truck ?

Here is a copy/paste of my very first thread.. Tells my little story

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and share my little story, I am also looking for any advice about the truck I am about to buy/trade so please chime in..

The wife and I have always talked about restoring an old pick up but we did not have a garage to put one so when we broke ground on a new garage I went running,looking for a new toy to bring home, I checked ebay, craigslist, local papers etc etc either finding trucks too nice or too ratt'ed. Feeling defeated I had just decided to start looking for a classic car instead thinking that might be easier to locate then this past week on the way home from the store,about 2 miles from my house this GMC was parked on someone's lawn.. brakes slammed, tire screeched, grocery's flew all over the mini van.. I checked out the truck and it looked pretty good, Wrote down the email address needed to contact the current owner, cleaned up the grocery's and headed home to get to the computer.
I walked in the house, put the groceries on the counter and headed directly to the computer as I bee lined it to the computer my wife asked me "why is the bread a mangled mush?" I muttered something like "Mush,Truck, computer, washing machine, pinball, fish" she said " I think I heard truck and that explains it".
After emailing the owner I was able to strike a deal.. He was asking 3500.00 cash.. we agreed on $2500 cash and 2 dump truck loads of un-split firewood (which I happen to have and don't need) I also had to promise to take care of the truck and not chop it,drop it or anything like that. Which is an easy promise as my only intention for this truck is to restore to original.. So there it is.. My little story of how I found the truck I will pick up this Wednesday..
According to the current owner the truck runs strong but the starter sticks and has been sitting for a year.. is there anything I should be looking for with this truck?? any heads up?? or weak spots?? The owner seems not to know much about these trucks and not much info to contribute,, he thought it had a 296 but after I pulled the engine casts it looks like to be a 250CI (4.1 liter) built in Oct of 67.. Any info/advice would be great.. Scott (soon to be proud owner of a 68 GMC 2500 LWB flareside Custom WOOT!!)
Attached Images