View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #99
Roll'nSlo

Re: Another 489bbc question

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballnrd27 View Post
Here is my 2 cents(with some questions)
Is the truck a long term or short term project? Is it currently running? Do you really want to stroke it?
If you want a stroker big block then just do it in stages or save a little longer to get the right parts. Looking back on my truck's past I would have done things a little different but I can't change that now. If it were me I would start from the bottom up and answer this question: What am I going to need in order to support XXX amount of HP/TQ? Get your driveline in order 1st and then build the motor. 700 hp is no fun if you can't use it bc of a weak driveline. You might have already done the above. If a stoker is really what you want then stroke it and upgrade from there. Get the foundation built and build upon it more as the $$$ allows. Do you have a complete Big block? If so just use the heads/intake and supporting stuff from that until you can put the better high dollar bolt-ons later on down the road.
Everyone has their own way of doing things and there are some very smart people on this board(i'm not one of them LOL) so take all the advice given and use it how you see fit.
I'll answer each of your questions. On the length of the build I don't really have a time frame. Want it done like yesterday but who doesn't. Neither the truck or motor is currently running. Truck is in pieces all the way to the frame at the moment. I want to stroke it for more cubes. I'm waiting to get the engine done and dyno done to see what I end up with. Then I'll tackle the drivetrain. Maybe backwards but it's the best way for me I think. I have a complete 454. Was running when it was pulled out of the truck. It was left in the PO yard covered up. Has a slight ridge in the cylinders and no rust.

I agree everyone has their own ways. I've learned a lot from this thread and appreciate all the advice and input.
Roll'nSlo is offline   Reply With Quote