Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #2459
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
One question I had is the effect of muriatic acid or phosphoric acid on painted parts with rust. Some of your time lapse photos make it look as if you could use acid to clear/clean the rust off of some painted parts and if you rinsed the acid off in time that it would leave the paint intact. Would it or do I have that wrong?
Good question. Please stay away from Muriatic acid, I probably misspoke or gave you some bad information if I brought it up, or maybe even used it and that was wrong and a mistake, I think I may have used it on the hood, and may need to re do it. Muriatic acid removes the rust but invites it right back in. Phosphoric acid removes the rust and keeps it from coming back, so use it.

I tried using Phosphoric acid to clean up my truck bed where the hooks for the ropes used to be, and left behind some rust, and the acid ran down the sides of the truck and ate through and ruined my paint, so I advise against it. I would not use it on painted surfaces, but I'm no expert, and you are reading this on the Internets so double check your facts, ha ha.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote