View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #122
snowblind

Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

I did a bit of engine compartment and wiring cleanup this weekend.

My PO equipped the truck with a remote starter solenoid. Thank you sir! However, I wasn't really happy with it's location and mounting (lot's of exposed wires and zip ties) and I was adding to the mess with my own wiring "upgrades". I decided it was time to get everything cleaned up and protected before it got any worse. Anyways... On to the photos.

Here you can see the starter solenoid mounted back on the firewall. The starter wire, one-wire alternator connection and "turn-on" wire are coming in from the right. The battery positive and a couple of accessory power wires are on the left. The black box in the left foreground contains six 20amp breakers and draws it's power directly from the + side of the remote solenoid.

And here are similar shots but with the cover on the breaker box. I also painted the inner fenders with some "semi-flat" Krylon, installed a washer bottle/pump from a 90's 2500HD and cleaned up the wiring on most of the driver's side and firewall. I'll get some photos of all that stuff later.

The breaker box is pretty slick. Bottom left of this photo you can see that it has a rubber grommet at the top entrance and a sealed rubber blank on the bottom. These grommets/blanks are easily switched around depending on where the wiring comes from. I bought the box at NAPA. They had it in stock in the back.

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 07-06-2010 at 12:35 PM.
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote