View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 01:21 PM   #48
67C10Step

Re: More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them

I am not totally anti-EV, but realize they are not practical for many, many people. Me being one of them. If you have a relatively short drive to and from work and live in an urban or even sub-urban area they would probably be fine. However, for folks that don't fit that model or, like myself, can end up driving hundreds of miles per day they are not practical.

Now, on the electrical generation and supply side there is a complete other story. With many parts of the country already seeing an overtaxed electrical grid there is no way the load of EV's can be supported. On the generation side there is war going on and the consumer is going to come up short. In just my area, there is almost 3000 megawatts scheduled to go offline by 2028 and thus far the replacement has been 700 megawatts of solar. Not to mention, the 3000 gets produced 24 hours a day and the solar does not.

Charging stations will come along with time. There were very few gas stations back when automobiles first came out but the issue is you cannot carry a five gallon can of electrons. I think this is the reason a lot of people are not getting on board right now. Many people do not have access to chargers and getting access to one is a problem. Like was said before, it has to be something as convenient as a fill up is today.

I also believe a lot of the uninformed and miss-informed believe that EV's are going to eliminate the petroleum industry. For all of us that know better, the petroleum industry is NEVER going away in any of our practical lifetimes. Plastics, lubricants, and so many other products are produced from petroleum that are used in not just automobiles there is no way to divorce your everyday life from it.

The problem is the government forcing a technology that is not practical for everyone. Like MikeB, I believe the hybrid technology is the superior choice at this point. Balance between fuel economy, range, and ability to refuel.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX