Thread: Bed Alignment
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 10:49 AM   #7
Dashman

Re: Bed Alignment

It's a PIA to break the welds on the front cab bolts under sound deadening material, floor mat, and carpet. It makes it difficult not to damage the sheet metal. It's a floor liner completely off sort of event to do right. I don't know why GM didn't weld the same square hole washer that they used at the radiator support. A Dremel with a grinding wheel can do it, if you position it over the bolt head. Otherwise, at a slight angle you're missing some weld down in the corner.

I raised each point of the body and inserted 1/4" pieces of steel, and followed up for a total of 1/2" on points 1 and 2. Then I raised point 3 what it need to get the new bushing in. I didn't want to tweak the fenders in anyway.

Once I got the bushings in place on both sides, then worked on pushing the cab over on the frame. I raised one corner of the cab to reduce the friction, then I used a 2x4 and wood shims. For the rear, I used a 2x4 and shims, but also a pipe clamp setup above the frame to push the wood block. It was pivoting in above the frame and not working like the shims in the front, so the pipe clamp pushed it over. I had to go over the 3 rows of bushings twice because the cab pivots, and changes what you previously moved. I had to use a plumb bob because the passenger side flanges at the bottom of the cab are smashed. I had 22" on the driver side after the initial move.

Stupid kit assumes all your bolts will be bad, but doesn't come with new sleeves??? Don't be like me, get the kit with bolts and sleeves. ...or at least sleeves if you know your bolts are ok, or with just the 9/16 bolts considering you have to grind the weld off them.

I had to push the bed back to the right to match the new position of the cab, and I could hear the bolts drop in. I may have 1/16" that I can get from the cab when my sleeves arrive and I'm ready to bolt it down. The front fender is also lining up perfect. The buck 80 me could shove that over manually, hahaha. Where my passenger door could close with a finger swing, it's now jacked up, and my hood really needs adjustment.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dashman; 04-05-2024 at 09:35 PM.
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote