View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #148
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Oh, I forgot I hadn’t added anything about the clean power I added to the cargo area last fall. Last fall we had a little day trip over Medano Pass to the Sand Dunes which was the motivation I needed to wire up 12V power in the back of the Burb in order to run the National Luna refrigerator that usually lives in the Phoenix camper on the K10. I’ve gotten spoiled having cold pop and food in the K10 so I had to make accommodations for the fridge in the Suburban too because you know, you can’t go on a day trip without cold pop.

You would think stringing 12V power to the back of the Burb would be a short project….nope, not at this garage. 3 night’s worth of project

I am a junction block junkie! I love these junction blocks GM used on the firewall of 73-91 square body trucks as they are so useful to use everywhere. I added one of these junction blocks to the RH fender to carry the power to the rear of the burb. For this location I removed the cross bar and added a fuse. Since this picture was taken I had to move the headlight relays and junction box down about 2" as the hood hinge was running too close. In fact, the hood hinge rubbed a hole in the headlight relay then water got and I lost my headlights coming home from the airport earlier this summer. Errrr

Pinch mount stand-off bracket just forward of the RH wheel well as the power lead goes up into the cargo area. All the wiring is 10 gauge wire slid inside 7/32 vacuum hose. I like to run single power leads inside vacuum hose for added chaff protection.

Gave the pass through a good soaking of undercoating

Added another junction block in the right rear quarter panel just forward of the wheel well. I was able to gain access to this spot by way of a speaker hole. It was a tight hole to conduct business!

All that work for 3 damn sockets!

Oddball Hella plug for the National Luna refrigerator, 2 port USB outlet and regular 12V outlet

Also added some tied downs to the floor while I was at it. Can’t have that refrigerator bouncing around bonking people on the head

This is how it looked loaded for our day trip. Ah, had nice cool drinks all day long
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote