View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dustless Blasting / media blasting quote

If you dip in stripper you should then dip or have a way to flush out with solvent. I don't see an issue with dissolving seam sealer. Isn't the idea to get to bare bones all metal? Can't there be evil lurking behind the seam sealer? Isn't that a very common area for rust, where panels are hemmed, welded, or otherwise joined? Isn't new seam sealer part of a full restoration?

Same with the stripper eating rust holes where you didn't think any rust was. Good thing! I want to know where rust is so I can fix it. Isn't it typical to find rust you didn't know was there until you disassembled? And isn't it typical to find more rust once you start putting tools to the metal? The dustless sandblasting will blow holes out where pits were the same as sandblasting. The same with abrasive tooling if you try to get the pits smooth. It's not the fault of the process used. It's the fault of years of decay prior to restoration. With deep pitting I clean to where surrounding area is clean, then use chemical treatment on pitted area to turn oxide into phosphate. This is on sheet metal. On heavy gauge I blast clean.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote