View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #22
joedoh

Re: My Dream 1950 Chevy

get the body mounted and I think you will be fine. LMC sells the glass and seals for cheap. I see the front bumper in the bed and you said it came with parts and patch panels.

gig is right, these projects cost more than people think, I dont skimp on safety and scrounge for the rest and it still costs more than the lowest offers I get (not take) when I sell them on. I like to find the best body I can because rust repair is a progress killer, especially for me. I spend three weeks avoiding it and a couple weeks doing it. I like finding the best body I can now. ironically the truck I am working on was rusted under the gas tank, like 80% of the non-removable parts of the floor and the rear section.

my advice is to eat the project one bite at a time. dont worry about pulleys on the motor yet, no danger in it running right now. dont worry about axles or wheels or spacers, dont worry about glass or the mismatched doors. get the cab mounted. get the core support mounted. get the bed mounted. all three of those things are the cheapest things to do. then patch the metal that needs patching. then start with wiring and hoses and all that nickle stuff that costs thousands. coax it to life and worry about a driveshaft.

do what comes first before worrying about what comes next. I see guys get overwhelmed with the total cost and not even start, or worse, blow their budget up front on stuff they wont need till later. gauges will always be for sale, so will chrome goodies for the engine, so will fancy shift levers. your mortgage seems insurmountable till you spread it over 30 years, thats how this will be too.

focus on getting it running and driving and only do things that work towards that goal. there are two reasons, firstly pushing the dead truck around sucks. second, its easier to take a truck down for the weekend to do some project than it is to make a bunch of disconnected upgrades before it runs and scratch your head why it wont start or move.

everyone here can help. everyone, even the guys that just read the project threads because they will tell you where to find info.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote