View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #23
Joe Cool

Re: C20 Leaf Springs or Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
I have to say it's beyond amazing what this gen of truck were/are capable of doing. The newer trucks are fantastic, but not 40+years-newer worth of fantastic. In terms of loading a truck, yeah, leaf's are better for the stability with a camper. But if you get the elliptical overloads, a sway bar and a good set of shocks (I swear by KYB gas adjusts, but everybody has their preference), you will do ok with that truck.

The other thing is, for basic loading of ANY truck:

1) Make sure your tires are aired up to the proper weight for the load, and not in good shape, but GREAT shape! and suited for the weight you will be carrying.

2) Load it up completely and see how the tires squat and how the suspension squats. You should be at no more than about 2/3 of the suspension travel at best for a somewhat safe ride. If it's sitting down more than that, think about some air bags.

3) Do NOT drive it like a new truck with anti-lock brakes, stability control, etc! Drive it for what it is, slow the hell down a bit when it's loaded heavy, and have fun!
Hang Longhorn......thanks.....most I did know but a refresher course is always great!
Now I have to find a longhorn!
Joe Cool is offline   Reply With Quote