View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #58
special-K
Special Order

Re: Caps, toppers, camper shells - ONLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Premium 1971 Winnebago
I had a tailgate version of that one on a '71 K/20 I had many years ago. It is still at my friend's place being used as a storage shed.

By the late-70s there were places slapping these caps together all over the place. You could walk into a camper dealer and order one up any way you needed it. These were the angled side flat front and back style. I had one made for my '69 Dodge W200 8' Utiline for my trip to AZ. I kept it simple. Back when these were popular the thing was to have all the bells and whistles, such as plexiglass windows on side, lights, and an accent stripe on the side. I ordered mine all white with just the crank-out windows on the side. I did add 3 clearance lights on the rear and black-out tint to the windows. No paneling or insulation. I could take it on and off by myself. Never took a picture with it on. I wonder if there are still places to build them. It's gone to fiberglass these days, though, but many of those companies make aluminum work caps

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote