View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #44
Orange Crate

Re: Another NV4500 to NP205

Not a lot of progress but some. I ordered a couple of different rebuild kits and some parts were missing. Mainly the idle gear needle bearings weren't the right ones in the needle bearing kit. I assembled most of the main shaft and have the counter shaft ready to install into the case as soon as the replacement needle bearings show up. The reverse idle gear and bearings are the first thing you put into the case and then the counter shaft and then the main shaft, so the missing idle gear bearings held up the whole show. To re-assemble I followed this thread here:
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...formation.html This guy actually assembled his NV4500 opposite of the pdf copy procedure I also have. (I can send anyone a copy if you send me a PM) the pdf is for a 2001 Dodge NV4500 manual, which has a synchro reverse gear (just skip that part if you have an early GM version). First pic is of the assembled main shaft. Second pic is the assembled input gear and front cover. Third pic is the carnage of scrap parts. I needed a new input shaft as the original was worn slap out. I also found damage on the 5th gear clutch cone, I'm not sure what happened there but it looked like someone had it in a vice and then installed it. There were blue burn marks from the displaced metal where it was riding on the synchro. Alrighty then..waiting on a big brown truck.
Attached Images