View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 11:15 PM   #1
Railroadman

I took a "stupid pill"!

When stuff just happens, I can deal with it. When it's something I know better and F something up just from being a dumbazz, it is hard to take.

1. When I had the lower control arms ('66, 3/4 ton) blasted years ago, they went ahead and sprayed a thick primer on it. They didn't mask the threads. I managed to get them pretty well cleaned out using a Bernzo, sharp objects and a wire brush.

2. I got all new end nuts (bushings) and test fit them. They started in ok, had some resistance from residue but should have no problem.

3. Had a stretch where every time I'd start working on it, something would call me away. Eventually had 3 of the 4 on, and was ready for the last one. The next night I had about 5 minutes to "play" and wanted to at least get that crossed off the list. Went out and started cranking with the 3/4 drive ratchet. Like the others, it did fight me a bit. I figured once the threads broke through it would be easy.

4. Instead of THINKING and realizing something was wrong, I kept putting more and more force on it.

So I had NOT gotten the last one started the previous time in the shop, and cross-threaded it as I resumed work. Now I pay the price. Pics below.

The end nut is no big deal, ballpark $15 plus shipping. But I'm thinking the control arm has had the banana. Threads are bad, and the outer surface - which I believe is where the critical interface is - is hacked bad. I'm not seeing lower control arms for a 3/4 ton at Classic or some of the others. What are my best options? Is there a decent source for used parts? What are the thoughts on having this one built up with weld, then re-tapped? What is that, 1 5/8"-16? Can that be accomplished accurately enough?

Thanks for any suggestions. It's an expensive reminder not to rush through something when you're only half paying attention.
Attached Images

Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote