View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #31
Beach-Burban

Re: 1972 C20 build and adventure thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Woody, I retained my stock tank as well, and used an external electric pump for the EFI with a return line going to the tank. If I were to do it again, I'd probably invest in an in-tank pump set up, but your stock tank can be modified to use those as well.....

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-130

In the case of the external electric pump, you need to ensure the pump is mounted as close to the tank as possible and even with the bottom of the tank. These pumps are designed to push, not pull. I found out the hard way that mounting the pump even with the lowest point of the tank makes all the difference in the world. I torched two pumps doing Rally North American in the Summer of 2017....more on that in a later post. In the mean time, below is a picture of my current set up. I fabricated the bracket which holds the inlet filter and pump in line with the bottom of the stock tank. There is also a "last chance filter" mounted on the frame rail up front, just prior to the line going up the fire wall to the throttle body. This set up has run flawlessly since 2017. If you have any additional questions about EFI, feel free to post them here. I can give you a pretty good run down on all of Holley's options, and the advantages of each. I used the "Terminator" on this application because you can get it with an ECU that will control both the engine and automatic transmission. When I swap my '64 Corvette to fuel injection, Ill use their cheaper "Sniper" system because the Vette has a manual transmission and will retain the stock style distributor ignition.
Thanks for the info, Greg...it brings to light how little I know about "modern" upgrades. I had "honed-in" on the Sniper because of the price differences, but now understand that I need to learn quite a bit more as the Beach-Burban is equipped with a stock THM 400 that has been recently gone through by a local transmission shop. For some reason, the "pedal mounted" kick down switch and harness were MIA, so I recently installed those...and man...did that wake-up this low horse-power big block (the heads have been redone as well, but they are "peanut ports") so I'll be keeping the trans! As I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this purchase yet, I'll continue to read and learn...and then get back to you with "intelligent" questions when I'm ready to start collecting the pieces! Thanks again!
Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote