View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #131
RckyMntnKng

Re: My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4

Thanks Burt. How far are you from the Rubicon? It would be a blast to run that trail and camp out for most of a week. Looks like its only an 8 hr drive from me to the trail-head on the east end

PART 1 of the FAMILY CAGE Story:

I went through Broncobob for my cage bending. First thing for me was some custom setup and measurments to send over.

(a) I prefer a good angle on the rear hoop, instead of straight up and down. Also wanted to leave room behind my tool-boxes for tube. I needed a measurement of where to start the "bend" towards the front from vert...that would allow the box's to open un-obstructed and still look good. Decided to use 27.5" up from the floor, to start the forward tilt/bend.

(b) I hate it when I cant recline my seats and the bar blocks movement...so I decided to set the middle hoop back a few inches to where it can sit wider inside the rail angle. Gained me about 3" on width and 3" on setback to move it here - Perfect. Decided on 65.5" width out to out.

I want it tall enough to clear heads and mount things on (Hi-lift) -and I dont plan on a hard top ever. I decided to add 3" to the stock broncobob height overall, and can easily modify it down if needed by trimming, when I see it being fit to the rig.

Cage showed up yesterday and so I threw a couple of the tubes in to get a feel. The boxes will open perfect, clearing the rear hoop bend by about 3/4" or more. Looks a bit too tall, but not bad - can trim the height to whatever I want. It came with feet pads to weld on so I can bolt it in when I get it set

More to come soon......
Attached Images

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 04-23-2010 at 12:37 PM.
RckyMntnKng is offline   Reply With Quote