View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Haggar

Re: 1971 Jimmy with 6.0 LQ4 / 4L65, 4" lift/33s.. basic family fun cruiser

Lets see.. what else..

Brakes, I got a Booster and Master, I Think from a same year C30 truck, bigger bore and larger booster. A little filing of the holes on the bracket let it fit, and I didn't need to mess with the pushrod length at all. I had to make new lines to the combination valve, since the ports are swapped on the new master cyl.

I used stock replacement disc and calipers up front, with some longer rubber hoses (also maybe from a 1 ton truck.. but I would have to go back and check). I replaced most of the hard lines on the truck with new ones that I bent and flared. I used the NiCopp lines, and they flared easily enough.

Exhaust I have full 2.5 exhaust that I cut and welded from a pile of mandrel bends and straight pieces. I added an H pipe/crossover just after the T-case, and use some 20" long Borla straight through mufflers. It sounds pretty nice, not loud at cruise, but barks well when I get on it.

Steering was pretty sloppy in the box, so I replaced it with a reman unit from Redhead Steering Gears.. the 15:1 box. Works excellent, and improved the wandering a decent amount. It was at zero toe, so I put a small crank of toe in into it before we did Woodward Cruise this year (the first real long cruise for the truck). It needs a little more toe in, but it drives fine at 65mph. I installed a steering stabilizer when I did the lift. I am using the original 1971 power steering lines, with an adapter to go from O-ring to Metric Flare for the pressure line. I just capped off the 2nd return line on the LS pump, I tihkn that is for hydroboost return in those systems?
Attached Images

Last edited by Haggar; 09-07-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote