Thread: mini starters
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
clinebarger

Re: mini starters

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Go to your local auto parts store (ie: Advance) and order the following "over the counter" starter: For a 153 tooth flywheel and the straight bolt pattern starter, get the Corvette starter from a 1995 5.7L Corvette (Advance P/N 17124). That's if you have a 153 tooth flywheel and the straight bolt pattern starter. If you have a 168 tooth flywheel and the staggered bolt pattern starter, get the starter for a 2003 Silverado 3500 8.1L (P/N 17420). They are both Nippon-Denso style mini-starters, easy to get over the counter, and last forever, with a lifetime warranty. Usually around $118. Luckily GM stayed consistent with bolt patterns over all of those years. You can play the same games with Mopars as well, for example I stuck a modern Dodge Dakota starter (also Nippon-Denso style) on my '69 Charger. Again, Chrysler kept the same bolt and teeth pattern for 40 years. Little tricks to save you some money, get a better starter, have a lifetime warranty.
I 100% agree...Denso gear reduction starters are bullet-proof, Ive owned several Dodge/Cummins trucks & never replaced a starter..But I did replace the "High amp" contacts in the starter every 100K, Small price to pay for a starter on a 17 to 1 engine to last so long.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote