View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #110
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Remember the I6 has 1.75" outlets for the lower hose and 1.5" outlets for the top hose. The V8 is 1.75" top and bottom. I purchased a new lower hose, moulded, for the I6, it adapts from the 230 I6 to the V8 radiator perfectly (Redi Rad 3 core V8 radiator from Advance Auto, same as Murray V8 Radiator from Orellies) These are the hoses I selected. The top hose is 1.75 on one end for the big V8 Radiator and 1.5 on the other end for the Wee Lil I6 water neck.

I asked for 4 ft each of 3/4 and 5/8s heater hose, I got seven feet each for the 4 ft price, I think Counter Gal likes me! Maybe its the truck?

Neat-o, key on and the temp idiot lights work fine now!

Put the hose in the inlet of the radiator, start the engine and let it warm up and pump all the old antifreeze out the new upper hose. Occasionally shut off the water or it never heats up and flushes the old stuff out. I flushed it running, altenating topping off the Big Giant Gargantuan (compaired to the Wee lil I6) Radiator about 7 times over 30 or so minutes, till the water from the water pump ran totally clear.

After this I buttoned it up and started it up with coolant and tested the heater, it nearly fryed my hand on defrost...damnably hot, just like a new truck. Then I went back out front to snap a finish pic, and psssssssttttttt-squirt, a pinhole in the thermostat cap and it then opened to a crack and SQUIRRRRRT....I figured well, order it from Orellies and finish this job and this thread tomorrow night. But, neat thing is, Orellies has a lot of goodies for these oldies.

Meantime, Mr. Langdon called me....Weber 32/36 is ready and on the way. HEI goes in first and the engine gets properly tuned and road tested. After that, Carb goes on and engine gets retuned and road tested. And if I'm lucky, I'm then only a split brake job and a new glove box from bein ready to roll!

Last edited by Sharps40; 10-07-2013 at 07:01 PM.