View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 03:02 AM   #21
joedoh

Re: Buying a car on the internet

I love porsches, I wanted one forever but had daughters instead. maybe they will rally and buy me one, but I am not holding my breath. 996 are very good cars! they hold up well mechanically and even if the values will (in my cruddy opinion) never approach that of the air cooled cars, that only matters to the snooty "cognoscenti". I like the boxster chassis better myself of that era cars, but again, the snooty cognoscenti...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
My brother has a 2003 911. One off the things that can go wrong bad is the IMS bearing. If it goes out it ruins the back of the engine block. Costs about $5000 to pull the original bearing and replace it an aftermarket kit. I'm not saying don't buy it but I would to see if has been replaced. If you search the Wheel Dealer episodes Ed did the repair on a 911.

yes, this is a very real concern and your new purchase is right in the years and mileage that it happens. and dont drive it gingerly to prevent it from happening, short shifting and not revving the engine is thought to exacerbate the failure, lugging it at low rpms puts stress on the engine. decide on two outcomes, either you wont have the problem or you will, and get fully in that camp like LS short box says. either pony up for the upgrade, or drive it like you stole it and do the upgrade to your second engine, if you have a problem.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote