View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
joedoh

Re: 1946 chevy truck build.

your uppers are not 13 inches long measured along the frame, only measured along the bar itself. my guess is they are 9-10 inches long measured in the same plane as the lowers. your forward attachment point is less than halfway along the lower, you are going to have lots of pinion angle change. you will also probably notice the axle moves forward in the wheel arch quite a bit when aired out too.

this is why I recommend tacking the suspension together and running it up and down a few times, like you have. good work.

you should probably get longer uppers or reduce the angle on them to make them longer in relation to the lowers, because even if you resign yourself to driving only at drive height and accepting the pinion angle change as it gets lower, you need to be aware of something called "rear steer". measure from the axle centerline to a fixed point on the frame, then jack up just one side of the axle (like if the wheel was going over a bump) on the side you have jacked up you will notice the measurement gets shorter and the opposite side (which is pushed down) will get longer. this steers the truck from the rear suspension and is a way to have some crazy handling characteristics in corners. steering force applied at the end of the chassis is more unsettling than forces applied closer to the center of gravity (imagine a shipping container on grass. push in the middle and it probably wont move, push at the ends and you will be able to spin the container)

looks really nice so far!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote