View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #71
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Re: 55 2nd serie GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylow53 View Post
i like your panard bar in the rear mine is below the drive line yours is above. not sure if it would get in the way of the tank but i think it would be safer...
-40 come on think warm thoughts. this morning there was frost on my grass for the first time this year. i actually had to wear a coat to work... Crazy!!
GT
panhard bar height from the ground determines the rear axle roll center height. lower is usually better for handling. really you need to take into account the height of the front roll center height, and have the slope of the line drawn between the front and rear points (roll axis) to have a flat or slightly downward slope from rear to front for neutral to slight understeer affects from body roll in a corner.

with that said, i will be making my panhard bar adjustable for height, so i can dial it in for best handling (with reasonable ground clearance as a constraint, no lower than any other bracket on the rear axle.)

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote