View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
kljfamily

2003 transfer case parts

Hello,

Just picked up a 2003 8.1 2500 with about 170k. Everything was fine until I drove it on the freeway and the t-case (gm 246) started grinding and blew. Found it the pump had rubbed through the case (know I know common problem).

Not a novice, so I tore into the t-case. Turns out the planetary gear exploded in there so I have a lot of shrapnel.

A friend has a 2002 t-case I can have for parts on the cheap. Since i just bought this thing I don't have a lot of extra cash.

I see on researching that there was a change in the np246 in 2003. So question is will the 2002 np246 work on my 03? (I think the change had to do with the push button 4x4 but I could be wrong) or at least are they similar enough I can rob parts from it especially that planetary gear which is a costly part. Then I could buy a general rebuild kit and bottom half since it has a hole in it.

My only other option is to go to u-pull it this weekend and see if I can manage to pull out a t-case in the middle of the desert here in Albuquerque.

thanks

Kris
kljfamily is offline   Reply With Quote