View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
kljfamily

Re: 2003 transfer case parts

After messing around with it my 03 case was just too damaged to salvage any of it. The planetary gear from the 02 would not spin in the 03 as the 03 had minor damage to that area as well. Not enough to visually see but enough to stop the gears from turning. The 02 case halves were very similar with just where the actuator area being different.

On the 02 there is a spring and plunger that rests on the control actuator lever inside. You remove it from the outside. On the 03 there is no hole and that piece doesn't exist. So I just didn't use it when I installed the 03 actuator in the 02 case and just but back the bolt without the spring and blue rubber piece. I then had to modify the bolt hole for the shifter control on how it mounts as one of the bolts is slightly different. The rest went together smoothly. It is sealed up and I am waiting 24 hours to try to install.

So what I wound up with is a slightly modified 02 case with an 03 actuator parts in it. From what I can tell this should work.

The only piece I just could not get back on was that darn rear output shaft c clamp. that is the one you have to take off from the outside where there is a long oval rubber plug before you can remove the two halves.

SO I am running without it. It look like a minor piece that helps hold things together but there are so many c clips in this thing I and hoping missing this one is going to be ok.
kljfamily is offline   Reply With Quote