View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #24
kljfamily

I did it!

Back on the road! No service 4wd warnings!

Ok so I took apart the encoder motor all the way down removing gear ect. Cleaned it all up with contact cleaner and reassembled placing the cogs at the neutral position. Reassembled and then plugged back into harness. When I turned on the car low and behold the motor works again and reads in the push buttons at neutral.
So with the shift motor off I hit 2 we and the motor moved to position. I put the transfer case in the matching position and reassembled. It was making some noice off the ground which concerned me...rattling a bit. But when I put it back on the road I couldn’t hear the rattle at all.

So to recap:

1 my 03 np246 pumped rubbed out and basically exploded inside. Tons of shrapnel. The planetary gear and clutch back metal was everywhere.
2 broke as hell (my son just turned 16 and we just finished his 01 Cherokee between that and adding an16 year old to insurance I’m flat busted) I search for a used tease but only could find an 02 np246 for 75 bucks off craigslist.
3 come to learn there is some major difference between the 02-03. Feel defeated.
4 decided to mess around with the 02 and really look at the difference. In all they were not that different with the exception of the encoder on the 03 is splines and the selector cog is different.
5 swapped the encoder/spline/cog from the 03 to the 02.
6 noticed the top part of my clutch pack on the 02 was bad and two bearings were as well sourced replacements out of an np241 that I found at u pull it
7 reinstalled everything but found that my encoder motor now had the dreaded service 4 wd code and was frozen
8 took about that motor and cleaned reassembled and aligned both the case and the encoder to 2wd and put back together.

Man that was a long run. In all I rebuilt, sealed, took apart resealed 4-5 times in doing this.

Not sure it will last but should until I can pool some money for a solid rebuild t case. Thanks for all that gave their opinions and advice.
kljfamily is offline   Reply With Quote